Nov 19, 2010

art journal pages ~ about faces and shading

I find myself getting easily bored, at times. Other times, well, there are too many challenges. But around art journaling and art, I sometimes go quite to the extremes, especially with my faces, especially the colours and sometimes the number of eyes, and that sort of thing. I decided I needed to get more realistic. So with a bit of guidance around shading, and also some practice, I think I am getting pretty good at it. I did the first two pages last Friday as we were driving to our farm. 
This was done with pencil and then a blending stump and charcoal pencil. Words were added with my fave black pen. The second was done with exactly the same materials but on a page which had previously been coloured with acrylic paint and words already added.


This last one ~ the words explain it. I was in a hurry. The page did not even have a coat of gesso. There had been some rubbings done - possibly with Crayola crayons. I drew the face. I then added some colour, I believe mainly with Caran d'Ache Watersoluble Crayons. The page was done on thin vintage school notebook paper. I was concerned it would make holes in the page when I added water to blend the colours. I was lucky. I tried to be a bit careful. Our daughter's page ~ I do not think she made the nose purple. I believe she was teasing me. Maybe some day I will have the opportunity to show you.

Guidance around using the blending stump for shading ~ that came from Pam Carriker. I first saw her advice about blending in the Winter 2009 issue of Art Journaling. I caught some more journaling advice in the Autumn 2010 Somerset Workshop. I know Pam also has an article in the more recent Art Journaling publication. There is an excellent video Pam has done about faces at YouTube from which I learned more, but I also used a couple of recent pages Pam shared at her blog for guidance around faces and shading. Thanks Pam.


My advice ~ give it a try ~ making faces ~ be they purple or green or a more natural skin tone. Try some shading too. It can be a lot of fun. And maybe it will keep you from getting bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit today. I will try to answer questions somewhere in the future.